Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Race for the Animals 2013


I did the Northwest Veg's Race for the Animals 4th annual 5k, held at Mt. Tabor (an extinct volcano!) park, for the first time. I've done one training walk for Portland to Coast that involved heading up the road on Mt. Tabor, but otherwise, had not really ever checked out the park. Found out I've been missing out on a lot!

The weather was starting to border on almost too warm by the time we finished the event on June 30th,  and the only down fall I could really find was not actually starting on time. I stuck with the 5k race (there was also a 10k option) due to the fact that I have a 1/2 marathon in a few days.

The course was a bit of a mixed bag, and you got it all. Want some hills? Want some trails mixed with your paved road? Want some lovely views of Portland? Maybe see some ducklings? Run around reservoirs? You could have all that and more (what, you wanted some stairs too??) at this event.

Running around one of the several reservoirs

Walter letting us know we were at mile 3!
 
I enjoyed the more laid back feel of this race. Sure, it wasn't a timed event, but that is what my garmin is for. As Northwest Veg promotes the race "The purpose of Race for the Animals is to generate awareness of a plant-based lifestyle and to raise money for our education and outreach campaigns and to support Out to Pasture Sanctuary with part of the proceeds."
The volunteers were all very friendly, and the money went to a good cause, the course was lovely, I got super sweaty, and all of the post race food was amazing!


 
Just a small amount of everything delicious that was there!

First time I think I've ever been full after a race.
 
 
I think my registration was around $30, and I did pay the extra $15'ish bucks for a long sleeve t-shirt, just because I loved the logo so much for this event.
 
While sitting down and enjoying my post race food with Steph and one of the NWV volunteers, the topic drifted to the Vegan Iron Chef Pop Up! Taco Shop! competition that was coming up in about a month.
 
So, guess who now has signed up to compete (with actual chefs who get paid to cook people food?). Why yes, it would be this poser chef....
 
Fake it till I make it, or something like that! Now to find a taco recipe worthy of entering!

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment