Saturday, July 6, 2013

Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 marathon 2013



July 4th marked my sixth 1/2 marathon since I started running about 3 years ago. It also marked the first 1/2 I was doing with out a bunch of Team Slow Pokes there.

I had signed up for the Foot Traffic Flat I think back around the new year. My first year of running, I did one 1/2. My second year, I signed up for two 1/2 events. Seeing it was my 3rd year of running races, thought I better aim for 3!

$60 got you a nice tech shirt, fun race bib with your name on it, post race food and after party, and a HUGE finisher's medal. Foot Traffic events seem to be well known for over sized race bling, and they didn't disappoint!

My morning started really early. Traffic and parking on Sauvie Island was apparently supposed to be bad, and when I picked up my race packet, the staff guy told us to try to aim to be on the island by 5 a.m. to avoid the back up.

 
Getting up early has it perks!
 
 
I was pulling into the parking lot at the start line at a little bit after 5, and I ended up hitting no traffic, and having front row parking too! Plus I got to enjoy the sunrise while finishing getting ready.
 
This race is called the Foot Traffic Flat for a reason! For the most part, you are running on nice paved flat roads. There were, I think, maybe 3 little hills to tackle, but after having done the Shamrock 15k, hills like these are easy peasy!
 
Everyone had warned me about mosquitoes, but I didn't end up with any bites.
 
 
It's easy to get in a running groove when this is where you are at.
 
 
Once again, it was going to be a toasty day, so I ran with my little pink camelback. I had never put in more than 6.5 miles wearing it, but I was glad I had it! In addition to tanking water at the aid stations, I also took a lot of hits off the pack (and for those who know me, I try to drink only enough to stay hydrated, and not enough to have to pee during a race).
 
The great thing about 1/2 marathons, for me anyway, is that it's the distance where I do get that runner's groove, slip into the "zone," and truly have miles disappear while I'm out there. Miles 6-12 just happen. I think I would have even maybe stayed in the zone, if I had not gotten a rock in my shoe at mile 12, which lead to some crazy running, which lead to my first foot cramps during a race.
 
Even with the foot cramps, heat and that rock, I still set a new PR on the 1/2 distance for myself!
 
 
I finished the 1/2, got my huge race bling, limped out to my car to get my flip flops and some Nuun tablets to get some electrolytes in me, and head back to the post race party.
 
I have to admit, the lines are the Foot Traffic Flat are a bit crazy. Huge lines to the bathroom to start, big lines to get your beer and another big line to get your race food. But, this event also allows for great people watching, so it balances out!
 
Veggie hot dogs and strawberry (minus eating the short cake) post race!
 
 
I'm glad I can say that I've done the Foot Traffic Flat, but I'm not sure I'll be doing another July 1/2 marathon. The heat is hard to deal with. Even with as much as I drank, it took me over a day to get re-hydrated again.


 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment